23 September 2006

Again, we have a lot to learn from babies!

I was going to write something tomorrow--and I still probably will--but as I was looking at a newly acquired picture of my niece Evie and my new niece as of September 7th, Mary Fran, I thought about something my sister was telling me about Evie and Mary Fran and figured I'd share some further convictions about how we have so much to learn from babies (as I've written about before--see entry titled, "Innocent Wonder").

Well, Evie doesn't like to hear Mary Fran cry and when she does, Evie goes over and gives her a kiss, which usually, according to my sister, calms Mary Fran down. Wow! What a beautiful picture of simply being there for people when they're not feeling well! No words. No "solutions" offered to try to "fix" the situation. A simple kiss. A simple "hey, I'm here for you. I'm right here." Here's the picture:


It's so revealing to me that we have lost it. We have lost the wisdom of a little child and what it means to truly be there for those who are upset, hurt, lonely. When did we ever get the idea that we had to give others answers or solutions to how they could better their situation? Sure, that may come later, but what happens to our innate senses I keep seeing in little children that we apparently lose as years go by? It's the sense to give a hug or kiss to someone you see in desperate need of one, which, if we're all honest, is every single one of us.

I say all of these things w/ every single bit of masculinity in tact and as unashamedly as ever. I also say these things w/ every bit of guilt there is as I reveal my own shortcomings in not doing these things. There have been times, even lately, that I have been talking w/ someone who was struggling w/ something or expressing a hurtful situation or whatever to me and there was this feeling in me that absolutely felt like going over to them and embracing them w/out saying a word. Yet, for some reason I have yet to put a finger on but have my many suspicions about, something holds me back from doing so. It's a powerful force that I can feel battling inside my heart and mind and I am ashamed to admit that I allow the fears of being vulnerable, expressing too much sympathy, not being "manly"--whatever the crap that means!--and a whole host of other fears to prohibit me from acting on my first instinct. I reason it out and try to come up w/ the best construction of words I can give this person, which I somehow got the impression they wanted me to offer.

There's so much I could say about where I believe these reservations to be vulnerable and sympathetic to others--especially from a male's perspective--but I simply don't have the time right now and will continue to dwell on it as I also try to be more vulnerable and sympathetic to others in need. I have a long way to go but here goes nothing.

I'd love to hear what you think about this and any thoughts about why this seems to be true? It's by voicing these things, confronting them, and being open to our shortcomings that we can begin to hold one another accountable and become more like the beloved children of God we were first created to be--at least in this aspect...

Lord, have mercy on me for holding back love from those who so desperately deserve it, which is everyone I come in contact w/. Forgive me for not loving my enemies and for having enemies in the first place. I have no excuse bc your grace and mercy and unconditional love is continually being granted to me, the greatest sinner of them all! Yet, you keep calling me your child and loving me even more so. Thank you for your unlimited hugs and kisses you give me everyday and my aim is to pass those on to others I come in contact w/. By your grace this is possible and by grace I pray these things, Amen.

1 Comments:

At 9/24/2006 2:03 PM, Blogger A Higher Calling said...

I just wanted to say, "hi". I was hitting the random blog button and came across you. Anyway, I am from SC and my dh is in school to enter the ministry (still just following in faith as to exactly HOW he will serve the Lord).

I really enjoyed this post! I have learned a lot from my all my babies and kids :0)

The "touch" of another is so powerful! I have been in situations when I have been deeply hurting, and words could not help. Just having a hug really meant a lot (and just KNOWING that the person was there for me).

I know that men and women were created differently and it is sometimes harder for men to show emotion - they were created to be the provider and protector... it is really hard when you can't "fix it" but it really does go a long way just to know that someone is there for you and praying for you.

Lord bless, Dana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home