24 September 2006

Part 1: Facing the Hard Stuff

"My first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man. My first allegiance is not to democracy or blood. It's to a King & a kingdom." As these words rang through the sound system in the George Bush library at Texas A&M on Friday night, I turned to my friend and roommate Toph and said, "I think I like this song."

In no way was this a political statement: for me and I'm pretty positive from the man who wrote and sang the words in front of me. If you're not familiar w/ the song or the songwriter, Derek Webb, I would highly recommend you go to his website and check him out. To be honest, he and I don't always match up theologically since he'd be categorized as a pretty staunch (if that word isn't taken too strongly) Calvinist, but here's the thing: this man is a strong Christian and has some powerful words and biblical truths that we all must face. Just bc he and I probably don't agree theologically w/ some things doesn't mean that he is more or less of a Christian than I. We are both pilgrims on this road of life seeking to be followers of Jesus and his example and commands written in the Bible--IN THEIR ENTIRETY--being led by the Spirit.

I'm going to include the words to the song "A King & A Kingdom" off his Mockingbird album and hope you read them. I'm not always good at reading the words to songs that people post on their blogs, but I'm hoping you will do so and marinate on the words and ask how they may apply to you and your heartset. For aesthetic and ADD people's sake I'll be making this entry as 2 parts. You can read the words and then after some reflection read Part 2 that will be posted soon.

A King & A Kingdom

(vs. 1)
who's your brother, who's your sister
you just walked passed him
i think you missed her
as we're all migrating to the place where our father lives
'cause we married in to a family of immigrants

(chorus)
my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood
it's to a king & a kingdom

(vs. 2)
there are two great lies that i’ve heard:
“the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die”
and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican
and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him

(chorus)

(bridge)
but nothing unifies like a common enemy
and we’ve got one, sure as hell
but he may be living in your house
he may be raising up your kids
he may be sleeping with your wife
oh no, he may not look like you think

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home